Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Why Most Stamp Inventory Software is Bad

1.  They're too much work.

First and foremost, I don't want to manually enter the huge amounts of data that nearly all stamp inventory programs require. I'm lazy, and I think it would be nice if my stamp inventory software listed all issued stamps with their basic details already entered. That way all I would have to do is select what I have and provide a few additional details. But that's not the way it is, and I have way too many stamps to enter all that data.

I suppose that the reason behind the need to manually enter so many details has to do with the intellectual property rights of stamp catalog publishers. Catalog numbering systems are heavily protected, as are stamp descriptions and other details. Developers of stamp inventory software would have to pay heavy licensing fees in order to lawfully incorporate that information into their programs. I understand, but it's a shame. 
 
Scott (the de facto catalog for US stamps and also popular in Canada) is the only catalog publisher that I'm aware of that is even willing to sell licenses to use their numbering system. Michel (popular in Europe), Stanley Gibbons (the king of catalogs in Great Britain and Commonwealth countries) and Yvert & Tellier (France) all have online or digital catalog products, but they just don't measure up and they're not available for use in third-party stamp inventory software.

2.  Most of them are ugly and way too complicated.

Most stamp inventory software is ugly, with multiple checkboxes, buttons galore, scrolling in all directions and too many input fields. 
 
Here's a screenshot of EzStamp, one of the best existing stamp inventory programs. I own it, I've used it but even though it's one of the best, I don't like it. I'd rather have my stamp inventory program look good, be simple to use, but be able to be customized too.

EZ Stamps inventory program

What's a Stamp Collector to do?


I don’t use a stamp inventory program. I've tried several but I haven't found one that I like enough to stick with it. A simple Excel spreadsheet is just as easy to use, a whole lot cheaper and much more powerful and flexible.

Don't take my word for it though – some stamp collectors might like one of the available stamp inventory programs just fine. You can try at least some of the out without risk since many have free trial or demo versions available on the publisher's website.






No comments: