Monday, April 06, 2009

Simpsons Stamp to be Issued by the United States


I heard about the United States Postal Service's intention to issue a commemorative stamp for The Simpsons TV show over the weekend. I'm wondering what you all think about it.

The stamp will be the latest in a series of stamps that honor pop culture, including Comic Book Heroes and Star Wars.

Here are my thoughts: I know that The Simpsons have successfully invaded American culture, but I don't necessarily think that's a good thing, or that the show is a good influence. Although they can be funny at times (and just plain stupid at others), The Simpsons really boils down to the tales of a dysfunctional family. Honoring that just seems a bit crazy to me. I can't make the same accusation about stamps featuring Comic Book Heroes or Star Wars characters, but honoring them with stamps does strike me as a bit frivolous. It seems to me that there are enough genuine heroes out there that we don't need to honor fictional ones.

What do you think?

No comments: